Thursday, November 6, 2014

Clan Arena is Truly Awesome

Clan Arena (CA) is a gametype in Rocket Arena 3, a modification for the Quake 3 Arena, and is also found as a default gametype in Quake Live. This team-based gametype starts each player off with all core weapons, extra ammo, and full health/armor. It takes every item off of the map, even ammo and health pickups, so there is no way to improve your condition. Each player only has one life, and self-damage is removed.

I really like this gametype. I'm usually against anything that lacks on-map resources (as it takes away the gameplay element of map control), but something feels different in this gametype. It feels...even. Even more even than the standard Duel. Most games that lack map control tend to have some feature that destroys the even playing field, usually customizable classes. In the case of Clan Arena, however, the lack of map control actually enhances the experience. While I still prefer traditional FFA or CTF compared to this, I still really like this gametype, and it's somehow equally as good for competitive play as it is for casual play. On a side note, one thing I also really like about Clan Arena is that there is no self-damage, allowing you to perform rocketjumps and plasmaclimbs without hurting yourself in the process, although there's less of an incentive to do so, mainly due to the lack of on-map items, but hey, it's still pretty cool...I guess.

I typically like to play Clan Arena for warmups. What do you guys think about this gametype? Please let me know in the comments, I'd love to hear what you guys have to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment